Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A new kitchen trick!


Sunday we were in the mood for caramel popcorn, so I checked to see if we had all the ingredients. I didn't have enough brown sugar, so I thought I would check online to see if there was a substitute for it. And sure enough, there was an actual RECIPE for brown sugar! Just mix some molasses and granulated sugar and wha-lah you've got yourself brown sugar. Now, normally I don't keep molasses on my shelf, but I made homemade granola last year for Christmas and used molasses in it, so of course, I hadn't used it since then, so I had plenty. So, I was able to make some homemade brown sugar (I ended up adding a ton more white sugar into the mix so it would be light brown sugar, not dark) and thus satisfy our craving for caramel popcorn. And it turned out DELISH!!!! Really gooey and sticky, but oh so yummy!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Smart! I had a friend who made her own brown sugar AND vanilla. She had to buy vodka (I think?) for making vanilla. I thought it was so strange. I mean, in a pinch, yes, it's great to make brown sugar but always?!?!