Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I bought these shamrock sunglasses a few years ago to wear to a St. Patrick's Day dance. The kids love wearing them around.

The kids decorated their leprechaun treasure boxes yesterday so the leprechauns could dance on the window sill in the middle of the night and then leave a hidden treasure marked by a trail of shamrocks for Tyler and Morgan to find in the morning. They loved the treasure - it was hidden beneath the nesting tables in the background of the following picture. I didn't get a picture of the shamrock trail, but oh well! The leprechauns left a green apple, a package of green M&Ms, some green gum, and these cute green shamrock antennae things! They even left one for Harrison! When I put them on him he didn't even seem to notice he had them on and just kept them on as long as I didn't take them off him! Once he saw them he was fascinated by the sparkles! The leprechauns were suppose to leave a box of Lucky Charms, but oops! they must have forgotten this year! I told Tyler he had to go to bed early last night so he could get up a little earlier and find his treasure box, so all night he kept reminding us not to put him to bed late! Wow! I should tell him that every night! ;) I didn't bring up the whole treasure box thing, but Tyler realized it was going to be St. Patrick's Day he asked me if we were going to make the boxes and leave them out again this year. What a good memory he has! At school they read Green Eggs and Ham and his teacher even made green eggs and ham for the kids, but Tyler would only eat the eggs. I figured that. he seemed to have fun with it though. He said he wasn't going to try the eggs, but then he thought about the book and Sam trying them, so he decided he would, and then he liked them! I told him every time he has something new to try he should remember Sam in the book and try the new food and he might just like it! I don't know if that will work, but it was worth a try. :)

For FHE we talked about Easter and the real meaning of it and told the story by opening eggs and pulling out little objects that were part of the story as well as a verse from the scriptures. Then we had this minty white chocolate mousse I made for dessert. I saw the recipe on Mr. Food this morning and thought it would be good. It was OK. It was kind of like the texture of pudding, but tasted like mint ice cream. Kind of rich. Don't know if I would make it again unless I made it in an Oreo crust and froze it. That might be pretty good. Kent wasn't too fond of it, but the kids ate some of it.

I couldn't help taking lots of pictures of Harrison with his little shamrock antennaes! What a cute leprechaun! :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alan and Jeni said...

You are amazing! I love your ideas for St. Patrick's Day. I will definitely try harder next year to celebrate that holiday with the kids.

Ashley said...

What a cute tradition! I can't believe Tyler remembered it from last year. Kids have the best memories. It scares me what Kody can remember sometimes!!! Harrison looks so darling. And in the picture of Morgan with the glasses on, she looks so much like you! What cute little leprechauns you have!

Christina Allen said...

Hey Kris! I thought leaving a comment would be the easiest way for you to find your way to my blog. Loved all the St. Patrick's pics!