Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On the hunt for mushrooms


Saturday Kent was itching to hunt for morrel (sp?) mushrooms, so since it was a really nice afternoon, we all headed to the walking trail on the Sugar Creek. With hope-filled hearts, (well, Kent's at least. Not mine. I can't stand the thought of eating fungus, although I don't mind eating blue cheese dressing! Weird, I know.) we started down the trail. Kent got off the beaten path to hunt down in the woodsy area and the kids and I stayed on the paved trail.
Tyler holding up his petrified bone and Morgan with her snail shell fossil.
Sadly, we didn't find one tiny mushroom, but we found lots of other things instead - like a petrified bone, snail shell fossil, beautiful flowers, and a big black beetle that Morgan loved watching walk across the trail. Of course, Tyler wanted to kill it right away, so I had to teach him that it isn't right to kill something just because you don't like it, especially if it's minding it's own business and not bothering you. It was such a relaxing couple hours. I loved being outside and enjoying nature. I think there haven't been enough really warm, wet days for the mushrooms to really start to grow yet. Maybe we'll go again once it gets warmer for longer periods at a time. Oh, just so you don't think we left Harrison in the car or something, he fell asleep in the car on the way there, so we just put his carseat in the stroller. He slept the entire time, so he really didn't get to enjoy the beautiful scenary. So no cute pictures of him this time.


Walking across the bridge over the Sugar Creek



Some canoers/kayakers out for a ride on the Sugar Creek



Morgan posing next to some pretty spring flowers



Tyler thought that by throwing rocks down to Kent it would help him find more mushrooms!



Morgan started getting tired near the end and wanted me to carry her on my back.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

how do you make sure they are edible mushrooms? Yikes! I love cooked mushrooms... yum... but I prefer mine from the forest of Albertsons! LOL!

Cute pictures! Looks like a fun day! You look too cute holding Morgan!

Ashley said...

What a beautiful area. Looks like you had a wonderful time together. Is this trail by your home? How do you cook the mushrooms or does he like them raw?