Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

We had a delicious cook out at my in-laws. I brought this yummy broccoli-grape salad that was a hit with everyone (thanks, Kayli!!!). I got to tell Kent I-told-you-so because he didn't think it sounded very good (b/c I only told him the name of the salad, not the ingredients), but then he kept coming back for seconds after he tasted it! I was glad I brought it - my father-in-law even asked for the recipe! Another great recipe find! After lunch the guys left to collect some big rocks from their uncle's farm to stack around the little pond Kent's parents are putting in their yard and I decided to do some weeding in their flower beds. Harrison had fallen asleep (after having to take him for a short ride in the car since he wouldn't go to sleep otherwise and he was VERY tired!) so I just left him in the car while I weeded the front yard. It was beautiful weather and perfect temperature in the shade (which most of their front yard is), so I just sat down and went to work. Weeding is so relaxing to me and it was nice and quiet, so I really enjoyed it. I didn't get all the beds done, but the main ones looked a lot better.

Harrison after eating a chocolate cookie

We ended up staying in Lafayette to watch the fireworks there b/c we had heard that Crawfordsville had their funding cut so we didn't know how great a show it was going to be. Harrison slept the entire time, so that was kind of nice. We thought we had planned a quick get-away, but they blocked the road we needed for some reason, so we ended up waiting for close to an hour before getting out of there! How frustrating! We got home close to midnight, so I was completely pooped!

It was a little chilly, but the kids had fun anyway!

Tyler had fun battling it out with Kent, but Morgan didn't want anything to do with the sparklers!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kayli said...

I'm really glad you tried the salad and liked it! I have to laugh whenever someone says it doesn't sound good at first and then they like it, because that's exactly how I was! My mom made it for a baby shower, and I came in and saw her putting grapes in with broccoli and I was like, "Mom--what are you doing to those poor grapes!" but then I loved it. The only thing is, it really tastes better when it's good and chilled, and I always seem to be making it right before dinner. Oh well, still pretty great.

Those pictures are sooo cute. I love the one of Kent and Tyler fighting with the sparklers--so awesome!

And adorable picture of Harrison too.

candy's clothes closet said...

mmm You'll have to make that salad again sometime we'd love to try it.

Hilary said...

sounds like a great holiday! Cute pictures!

I can't believe you think weeding is relaxing!! Silly girl!