Thursday, July 3, 2008

The fruit of my labor . . .

I picked a big bucket-full of sour cherries from my in-laws this past weekend and decided to try my hand at making a cherry pie. They have this cool cherry pitter that I really went to town on, but unfortunately I didn't quite catch all the pits and we have found at least 11 pits while eating it! It was just so cool to see the cherries roll down one by one and then push the lever to pop the pit out, so I really got moving and I must have gone too fast and missed a few! Oops! It was still delicious - especially with Breyers vanilla ice cream! Now I have that song "Can she bake a cherry pie, Billy boy, Billy boy? Can she bake a cherry pie, charming Billy?" stuck in my head! I wish I had my camera when I was picking b/c Morgan came out and helped me and I loved the look of the tree with all these cute red cherries dangling off it - it reminded me of Mary Englebreight, Hilary! These flowers are from my flower bed out front. I thought this set up was so summery and cute!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I *LOVE* tart cherry pie. I can't stand the syrupy sweet stuff you buy at the store... it has to be tart pie cherries. I loved pitting them too! I remember using paper clips to pit them before we got the fancy pitter. We have a cherry tree growing in our backyard (we planted it) and I'm so hoping it gives good fruit!

Ahh... Mary Engelbreit!

Did I tell you Gracie likes to call me Hil-Ree!