Saturday, July 11, 2009

Williamsport Falls

So here's my update on our little adventure to Williamsport Falls:

This is about the closest I can get to a waterfall in Indiana! I guess in the spring when there is a lot more rain, it is quite a bit bigger and more impressive, but it dries up by July or August when there isn't as much rain. This past spring would have been great to go because it rained A TON! They claim it is the highest free-falling water fall in Indiana. It's a 90-foot drop. I know, I know, for all you Westerners that's probably nothing, but here in the flat lands of Indiana, that's pretty good! It was cool to see where the water was flowing from too b/c you could see where the water had cut holes and grooves out of the rock on its way down to falling off the cliff. Anyway, while Kent and Tyler were in Minnesota, I tried to find fun, inexpensive things for the rest of us to do. I heard about this waterfall, which is about 30 minutes away, so one evening the kids and I ventured out and discovered a little bit of beauty tucked away in a little town NW of us. Its called Williamsport Falls and is right in the middle of this little Indiana town. There was a little downhill hike to get to a creekbed that you followed to get to the waterfall. There were lots of rocks to climb over and on as well as shallow water to wade and play in. The kids had a blast! It took Harrison a minute to get comfortable, but after a while he was loving it too. There was a little bit of trash, left pieces of clothing, and old car/metal parts, so we picked up what we could when we left and threw it in the trash. I hate it when people trash such beautiful nature spots! Kent had the digital camera, so I took my 0ld-school camera. After getting them developed, I can tell I am a little rusty with the "real" thing! A lot of the pictures were a little out of focus, but oh well. It was a lot of fun. If you ever go, I would recommend wearing tennis shoes to walk down to the creek and then water shoes (or any you don't care if they get wet) while walking through the creek to get to the waterfall. I made it down the creek wearing my tennis shoes by rock hopping, but it might have been easier to change my shoes beforehand. From start to finish (leaving our house, spending time there, to getting home) it took about three hours. So it would be a fun little afternoon trip. Morgan would have stayed longer, but it was getting late and I knew they would need baths once we got home.
playing at the bottom of the falls


Morgan's adventures


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That must be a popular spot this year. I think you are the fourth person that has blogged about these falls. We may have to check it out :)

Ashley said...

Kris, this place looks like so much fun! What a great adventure to go on. I think it looks beautiful there. I love Harrison's little curls!

Amanda said...

We went this past spring, and the falls were a little bigger, but we also got to participate in the same nature clean up project I guess it didnt stay clean for long:)

Kayli said...

We went twice this spring, and I was really disappointed the second time because of how much yuckier it was. More trash, more slimyness, I guess because of the water not being NEARLY as fast and washing everything downstream. I also really really hate how people litter everything up. It bothers me SOOOO much. Good for you for cleaning up! I should do that more.

I'm excited to see/hear what your idea was for Morgan--better hurry and post it! Or tell me...I'm not good at waiting!

How are things moving along for coming back here?

Jessica said...

Funny you went there. That's where I grew up. The Falls are about the only thing Williamsport can claim. You're right, there's lots more water in the spring. Glad you guys had a good time!

Alan and Jeni said...

The Bohns took me to see this on my first full day in Indiana in January of 1999 (It was on the way to church at the Williamsport branch). I have to say that I was deeply disappointed coming from Washington state - there was no water falling at the time. From your pictures and other comments it looks like it would be a decent waterfall in the spring. I'm glad you guys had fun! - Alan