Friday, April 8, 2011

Conference Weekend


We were lucky to be able to watch conference on TV. I decided to make a "tent" for the kids this time, which they absolutely loved. Before Conference started, we read in Mosiah where the people came together as families and pitched their tents to listen to King Benjamin. I also made topic jars and filled them with treats. If they heard one of the words on the jars, then they could pick a treat from that jar. Very quickly I realized that I had to limit it to one treat per talk! And on Sunday before we ate lunch I had to limit it to two treats for the whole two hours so that they didn't spoil their appetite! It really helped the kids listen, but by the end of the two hours they pretty much had lost interest and I had to keep telling them to be quiet and sit down. Tyler was the only one I made listen to both hours, but Morgan ended up listening to most of it too. And what can I say about Harrison? Well, he quickly realized the "game" and got very good at jumping up and getting a treat when the others did. One time he said, "OH! Betrayal! I get a treat!" WHAT?? Where was that written on a jar? That little booger - he just wanted to get as many treats as possible! One talk didn't have a single word said from any of the jars and Tyler was so bummed. :) I told him it was still important to listen to the talk.




I really enjoyed listening, but have to admit I got more out of the 2nd Saturday session when the kids were upstairs. But I realize that although I may not get a ton out of Conference when the kids are with me, I am still teaching them the valuable lesson that Conference is important and that we should listen to the talks from the prophet, General Authorities and other leaders of the church. It is so important to set an example for them in what I do, not just what I say. If all the sessions weren't important, then they wouldn't have them. If we don't teach our children when they are young, then they won't have the good habits and values instilled in them when they are older and it will be much much harder to have them make the right decisions and fall back on their knowledge of what they know is right. They won't be perfect, but I can help teach them the best I can so that they can make the least amount of mistakes possible if they try.

1 comment:

Jeni Allen said...

Aren't kids stinkers during Conference! I'm just so glad we don't have to take them to Church to watch it like I did when I was there age. It was a nice low key weekend for us. Nothing like snuggling up on the couch and watching Conference with your sweetheart, made only better by having a child or two listening. We didn't have any cute ways to make them listen, we just whopped them one if they didn't. It worked pretty good!