Morgan - 1st day of 2nd grade
Tyler - 1st day of 4th grade
Ready for an exciting day (and I mean that literally!!!)
OK, so I promised I would share how our morning of the 1st day of school went. Welllll, it was going great. The kids got up early, got ready in plenty of time and so we decided to take some pictures on the front porch before the bus came. After the mini photo shoot, we tried to go inside to grab a couple things, but the door was locked. You've. got. to. be. kidding!!!! See, just a couple days before Kent installed new locks on the doors and they were the kids that seemed unlocked from the INSIDE, but are locked on the OUTSIDE. The very same thing happened to us the day before, except it happened with the back door and luckily Kent was still home to rescue us. He left Sunday afternoon for a business trip, so he wasn't there this time. I couldn't believe it. I was freaking out, but I had to act calm and cool so the kids didn't freak out. Luckily the kids had their backpacks, but as you can see from the pictures, the rest of us were in our pjs with no shoes or socks. And luckily I brought Callie out with me! And luckily it was good weather. Since there was nothing I could do (the back door was unlocked on the bottom, but dead bolted so that didn't help any and the garage door was shut and wouldn't come up manually), we started walking down the block to the bus stop. Of course, the bus came a lot earlier than what the bus driver told me, so the kids ended up running to catch it. I saw some parents watching their little girl get on the bus, so before they could leave, I waved them down and started explaining (trying to stay calm and not break down in tears) what had happened. Luckily the guy is a policeman and after a couple phone calls, he was able to get a hold of a locksmith. His mother-in-law was there and was kind enough to let us sit in her car until the lock smith came. After what seemed like forever, he finally came. But get this. He tried picking the lock AND tried opening the door with a credit card and couldn't get the door open doing either one! He said the new locks are made to be picked proof and that they have the safety feature of being unlocked inside but not out so that you can get out of the house faster in an emergency. What if the dead lock is locked though? Dumb engineers. Anyway, he almost couldn't get the Masterlock pad lock on the fence to the backyard open, but he finally did. Then he tried unlocking the one door that has an old lock on it that we hadn't replaced yet. BUT he couldn't do that EITHER! Luckily the door has a doggy door in it and he was able to reach up and grab the doorknob and open the door that way. He then waded through all our boxes in the back room of our garage and opened the garage door to let us in. Talk about a crazy morning! I was prepared to pay him, but he said the policeman was a good friend of his and he said not to worry about it. I was extremely grateful, but thinking back on it, it was probably because he failed to pick the locks and open the door for me! ha! I was just glad to get back inside, but not having to waste money like that helped out too. Needless to say, every time I go out the front or back door I check to make sure I can get back in! I think it was good it happened so that now we all are aware of what could happen and can fall back on an experience to remind us. AND of course we made a spare key and hid it outside!
So, there you have it. Thinking back on it, it wasn't a terribly bad thing, and we were definitely watched out for, but in the moment it was not very fun!







1 comment:
What a bummer! You were so lucky to have other people at the bus stop that could help you though! What a blessing. It would have been awful if Callie had been still inside! I worry about that sometimes when I walk Ady to her bus while Evy is still asleep.
Post a Comment