Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Random happenings




So Tyler woke up sick Sunday morning, my guess he caught it from someone at school, so I stayed home with him and Harrison. Since I didn't have to rush around before church I decided to put Morgan's hair up in a cute do that I saw in my oh so cute, creative and fun friend, Hilary's blog. She loved it! Too bad one of the rubber bands broke during Sacrament meeting, so she had messed up hair the rest of church! And I wasn't there to fix it at all! She was so excited to be going to church by herself with Daddy. She packed her purse her Grandma Allen made her and was ready to go. Anyway, when she got home she wanted to paint and the rest of us were resting or taking naps, so I let her. When I looked up from the recliner after waking up from dozing off, I looked to see what she was doing and she had fallen asleep across two wooden hard dining room chairs with her paint shirt on! I SO wanted a picture, but Harrison was asleep in my arms and was being quite touchy, so I couldn't move to lay him down and get my camera. It would have been hilarious! Then a few minutes later she woke up and went in the bathroom to find Kent and then laid down on the floor in there and fell asleep again! So we just left her there until she woke up a few hours later. She would have been cranky as all get out if she would have woken up! Morgan's new words when she gets upset or messes up are "crud" and "dang-it". Oops! I know where she gets those from (crud-Kent, dang-it-me)! They aren't bad, but it sure is funny hearing a 3-year-old say them!


One day last week Tyler came downstairs and had changed his clothes. The minute I saw him, I realized what he had done. He came down with a pair of dark blue, nylon, baggy, athletic shorts and a white t-shirt. I asked him if he was trying to be like Daddy and he said sort of shyly, yes. See, when Kent gets home he likes to put on his dark blue baggy shorts and a white t-shirt. It was so cute! Tyler simply ADORES Kent and is always doing what does, saying what he says and gets a lot of his attitudes towards things from him. So Kent has realized how much of an influence he is on Tyler and tries to be a good role model for him.


Also on Sunday I was painting in Morgan's Barbie coloring book because I needed to do something relaxing and coloring/painting is very relaxing for me. Anyway, it was a picture of these chorus line girls (because Barbie was going to a Broadway show). I had painted their outfits, hair and LONG legs and was painting their shoes. Tyler comes up to look and says "SEXY!" I about died! Kent and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing! Hmmmm... I wonder where he got that word!!! I asked Tyler if he knew what that word meant and he said he did, but he didn't explain it to me! My 5-year-old saying a picture was sexy! AUGGHHH!!! It's all starting!



So I went to this cool new store my friend Heather told me about. It's called the Flower Factory. It's a wholesale store that you have to have a membership for, but they are free. The catch is that you can't return or exchange anything. But they have GREAT prices and super cute home decor! I got this for $10! It says CELEBRATE Family, Friends, Traditions. It's not the greatest picture, but you can see what it looks like.



For those of you who have Family Night, do you ever wonder if you are actually getting through to your kids or just talking to yourself and maybe your husband while the kids run around grabbing toys to play with or wrestle with each other or ANYTHING but sit quietly and listen to and participate in the lesson!? It seems like every week it's like that for us, although if I've got a particularly fun thing to look at they'll halfway listen. And Tyler usually listens well, but after about 5-7 minutes he's gone and ready to rough-house with Daddy! I know the important thing is that we have Family Home Evening, but it sure drives me crazy trying to keep them still and listen and interact in the lesson! Sometimes we just sing Primary songs because I can tell they don't have the attention span to sit and listen to a lesson that night! And of course we usually have to play a round of London Bridge or Memory or something like that too. Last night was crazy and it seemed like I was drawing it out longer than I should have, but it was because I was trying to calm them down and bring them back to the lesson. Years from now I'm sure I'll look back and laugh and just be glad we had it.
Tyler and Morgan have been playing rather well together when Tyler gets home from school and they like to play up in Morgan's room in her tent. But they flip the tent sideways and put their sleeping bags, pillows, etc on the floor underneath it and pretend to play "sleep". So Morgan wanted to sleep in her tent a few nights ago, so I let her. Tyler didn't want to because he said it was too scary! He'd rather sleep in his own bed. He loves his new loft bed. He couldn't stop talking about it when he moved into his new room so we could put Harrison's crib up in his old room. And of course I couldn't leave Harrison out. He fell asleep in this "Boppy" thing (not a real one) and stayed there on the floor for a few hours! He eventually slipped onto his back on the floor but kept on snoozing away! That kid will sleep through any kind of noise and anywhere you lay him (if he's already asleep).

4 comments:

Kelly Allen said...

that is way to funny about Tyler saying the picture was sexy!!! I wish I was there to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Morgan's hair looked super cute. It stayed up a lot longer than it would on Ady. I cant believe Morgan is so patient (Maybe its you that is patient) to let you do all that. This week suddenly Ady is letting me put her hair up. I hope it lasts!

My kids can only last a few minutes for FHE too. We have been taking turns giving the lesson, and that helps. Ady was really excited when it was her turn. We let her tell us a story using some pictures of Jesus. It was so cute. I think the important thing is that you have it, not what they are learning. The habit and discipline of having it will soon pay off and it will get easier. Singing the whole time now and then is perfectly fine in my book. Your kids know the Primary songs for this year so well, that must be why :)

Kayli said...

He said SEXY?!!?!?!?!?!?!
And here I thought it was crazy that I heard Jethro use the word "retarded" twice today (yeah--that's from me). I'm curious--after laughing, did you say you shouldn't say that or anything like that?
Cute hair for church that day.
And I like your little sign. Is that store in Crawfordsville?
It was good to see you and let the kids play.

Kris said...

I think I said something like you don't tell people that, but I can't remember because I was so shocked that he said it! No, the store is in Indianapolis. I also got some cute things at Gordman's today before I came to your house, but I didn't have time to show you b/c I was in a rush (as usual!). I love having birthday money to spend!