Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Trip to Columbus

It was a bitter sweet experience. My poor baby wasn't feeling good at all the whole time. Her first illness. She started getting sick Sunday I think and by Monday started being really congested and then last night having a fever of 104! I was kind of scared, but luckily I brought infant Tylenol and Kent gave her a blessing. Even though we stayed in this really cool, modern hotel, the Indigo, we didn't have a very restful night with a fussy baby. Luckily we didn't have any kind of appointment this morning, so we were able to sleep in. I had to give myself a smile because early this morning Kent was nice enough to take Callie for awhile and let me sleep some, but she started getting fussy again after a bit. Kent tried everything for quite some time, but she just wouldn't stop fussing. I felt bad for the people next to us! Anyway, I told him to bring her into me and as soon as I snuggled her up to me on the bed she fell fast asleep. I guess she just wanted her momma! I felt so loved and needed (and not just for a source of food!). I love those moments. She still is congested and slightly warm, but nothing like last night, thank goodness. After she eats she get so congested that sometimes she throws up a ton of milk and all the mucus stuck in her chest. She cries every time after she eats because she gets really gassy and has lots of painful burps stuck in her. I feel so bad for her and wish I could just take all the discomfort and pain away. It is so sad to hear her wimpering and fussy cries and know there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. I hope she gets over it soon! She looks so miserable with her watery eyes, runny nose and sad countenance here. Her baby acne doesn't improve her looks at all either! My poor little girl!





So, anyway. My parents watched the other 3 kids while we went to Columbus to get more familiar with the area and see what kind of housing we could find. Kent's future employer, Cummins, graciously paid for our hotel room, which they upgraded to an awesome suite. I was kicking myself because I didn't grab the camera before we left, so I didn't get any pictures of our room except on Kent's phone, and I don't know how to get them off. But if you click on the hotel link then you can at least see the cool lobby. They even have a resident pup named Miles! We ate dinner at this Bistro with his boss and co-worker and their families, which was one of those fancy-shmancy restaurants that was really expensive and had stuff on the menu that I didn't know how to pronounce or what it was. One where the presentation was creative and that they didn't just plop the food on the plate. It was pretty good, but I still was hungry when I left. It could be that I am a nursing mom that makes me have a huge appetite though.

We found an awesome house for rent that would be the same amount as a townhome with 400 sq. ft. more and a big yard, but it has a retaining pond with a sloped yard and no fence. Not my idea of safe with a 3 year old who loves to go fishing running around! So, we'll probably go with the townhouse that has a detached garage across the parking lot for all our storage. Both were in the school district that we wanted and the ward we want to be in as well. There aren't many houses for rent at all in Columbus and we had to get on a waiting list for the townhouse.

I guess Cummins pretty much owns Columbus. Out of the 40,000 people in Columbus, probably about 5,000 work for Cummins! And if you don't work for Cummins, then you are probably married or related to someone who does. They have this really cool recreational area for Cummins employees with camping, fishing and a sports complex available. We will definitely be taking advantage of that. Plus we are within 2 hours of 3 big cities with lots to do - Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinnati. There are lots of big lakes and rivers for Kent to enjoy fishing as well. Columbus has all the major necessary stores - Target, Kohls, JCPenney, Walmart AND a mall! I'm set! Plus the Edinburgh Outlet Malls are super close too! Brown County and Nashville are right down the road as well. I love Brown County. I think I'm going to really like the area.

So, even though Callie wasn't feeling good, we were able to get to know the area a little more and figure out what we like and don't like. We also found a couple really yummy places to eat. That's always a plus. :) Thanks, Mom and Dad, for watching the kids for us!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

Keep an eye on that beautiful baby! Watch for RSV, both Mac and Sydney got that early on, scary! Sounds like a fun trip though. You might look into renting a fence. We had to do that in California. It wasn't to expensive and it made the house we were in very doable. I love the area you're moving too! I'd go in a heatbeat! I miss Brown County! We're going to stay with my brother in Bloomington for a few days after we visit the Allen homestead, maybe we'll come see you during the day one day! That would be so fun for the kids!

Ashley said...

This is so exciting! Sounds like a lovely area. Sorry your sweet little Callie wasn't feeling good. How scary was her fever? She is so small! I'm sure it worried you. I'm so glad she is feeling better. Her hair is so darling!!!