Monday, April 2, 2012

Cathedral Caverns and Dreamland BBQ

After lunch we drove to Cathedral Caverns. It was out in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't know what to expect. WOW is all I can say. My pictures don't do it justice, but I was completely in awe with the beauty of this cave. So many beautiful stalagmites, stalagtites and formations.


This was the opening of the cave looking out.


This formation was called Goliath. If you look on the left side you can see a face with its jaw open. The guide said "he" can't get any taller, but he can get wider.


These tiny little bats live in this cave. This is a full grown bat. It was probably about 1 1/2 inches long. They like to keep to themselves.


This is why they call it Cathedral Caverns. There is one huge area at the end of the trail that has all these stalagmites all over the place. It looks like a huge Cathedral. They call it the Stalagmite Forest. I wish I could have captured it better because it was a sight to behold.


About halfway down the trail going in, Harrison said he had to go to the bathroom. He wasn't really fond of the cave because he was a little scared, so Kent carried Callie and Harrison sat in the stroller (the path was a really wide sidewalk that you could easily take a stroller on). We told him to just try going to sleep so he wouldn't think about having to go to the bathroom. Well, by the end of the tour to very back of the cave (about 2/3rds a mile) he was REALLY needing to go. We asked the tour guide if there was anywhere at all he could go and of course there wasn't. She said sometimes people will just have them pee in a diaper, but of course I didn't bring the diaper bag in b/c I didn't think we would need it. So she proceeds with her tour and takes her sweet time to talk about the other tours that go beyond where we stopped, answered some questions, turned off all the lights and talked about how dark it is and how you can go blind if you stayed in there long enough, blah blah blah and didn't even seem to remember that we had a 4-yeat- old whose bladder was about to burst. Kent would have just left, but he couldn't see a thing until she turned on the lights. And even then she had to turn the lights on every so often for different sections of the cave. I felt SOOO bad for Harrison because I know how it feels to have to go really badly and not be able to! FINALLY she stops talking and turns on the lights so Kent BOLTED as fast as he could to the entrance and up to the bathroom. There were a lot of inclines and so by the time he got out his lungs were burning and he was exhausted. As soon as Harrison could, he lept out of the stroller and ran straight to the bathroom. He actually made it, which kind of surprised me. Yay for Harrison! I'm sure he won't forget that experience every! I had to carry Callie all the way back and even though she is a tiny little thing, she got really heavy carrying her almost a mile and up and down all those inclines! I definitely got my exercise in for the day!


After building up an extreme appetite from the cave excursion, we headed over to this local BBQ joint called Dreamland BBQ. It was fantastic! They cooked the ribs in this brick oven right next to us. The only bad thing was that we smelled like smoke afterwards. But it was worth it.



I thought this sign was hilarious!



My ribs and coleslaw



Callie discovered ketchup! Yeah. That was fun to clean up. At least her shirt was red. :)
We were exhausted that night, so we didn't swim and instead hung out and played The Great Dalmuti for awhile. The kids really like that game now. We all slept very well that night. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: