Friday, May 23, 2014

Happy Easter!






We went to Lafayette for Easter weekend.  We helped Kent's parents clean up their front yard from the winter and then we went out to eat at Arni's. Mmmmmm...  I really enjoyed helping clean up their yard.  I just really love weeding, cleaning up spent plants and flowers from the previous spring/fall, and making a yard fresh and alive again after the long winter.  It was perfect weather, so it was really relaxing and energizing for me, even though I worked my buns off. :)  Once I start a clean-up, I don't like to stop until I am finished.  Kent calls me a slave driver. :)  We got it looking really nice for everyone coming over the next day for Easter.  They had Stake Conference that weekend, so we were able to hear President Davies from the presiding Bishopric, who was a great speaker.  Afterwards, everyone came out to the house and we had a yummy dinner.  I had decided to make deviled eggs and these yummy raspberry/almond cupcakes.  I have quite the story behind the cupcakes!

The Easter Bunny must have decided to make the presents useful and not have so much candy this year. ;)
 


 








The boys both needed new ties, so I figured Easter was the perfect time to get them.  Of course they had to be matching!  And Callie loved picking out a fancy Easter dress out of the many she could choose from at "Morgan's Boutique".  I got a great deal at Kohl's too for Morgan's shirt, so I was happy with their outfits!









OK, so here is the funny story.  I made the cupcake filling (almond cream) and filled the cupcakes the night before so that I wouldn't have to do that in the morning.  It took a while, but it all turned out well.  Then after church, I decided to make the frosting b/c I didn't know if I could let it sit out all night since it called for fresh, sieved raspberries and I had tried refrigerating the frosting before and it just got all runny and melty, so I didn't want that to happen this time.  The recipe called for 8 ounces of raspberries, ran through a sieve to get all the seeds out and then to add that pulp to the butter and sugar all at once.  Well, I wasn't thinking and usually I add the powdered sugar and butter together then see how much liquid I need to make it the right consistency.  The recipe said it made 12 cupcakes (it had the cupcake recipe and frosting recipe together), and I knew I had to double that, so I decided to double the amount of raspberries I used.  It seemed like a lot of pulp, but I figured I would just double the frosting recipe and be good.  Well, after I put all the butter and sugar in that it called for, it was like SOUP!!!  Seriously, it was WAY to runny!  After searching frantically for more powdered sugar, we finally found some and I think I ended up using like 2 BAGS of sugar and it STILL wasn't the consistency I wanted it to be!  I gave up and frosted them anyway and hoped the frosting wouldn't melt all over the place and be able to keep it's shape fairly well.  It actually did and everyone LOVED them!  The frosting wasn't smooth and creamy, it looked like butter when it starts to melt really fast - kind of separated, but it stuck together OK, so I was satisfied enough.  Anyway, I brought a ton of frosting home and made cupcakes the next weekend to take to my mom's house, but they weren't as big a hit b/c 1)they weren't cream filled and 2)there weren't as many adults there to appreciate the gourmet cupcakes that they were. :)  I finally threw away the rest of it after we ate it on graham crackers or other stuff here and there.  I thought the frosting was super yummy - it kind of tasted like raspberry sherbet, but after awhile I got tired of it.






We had another big Easter egg hunt with the grandkids.  They love finding numbers in the eggs that correspond to prizes and of course candy too!  That burley man in the picture is Clark, Kent's brother - he would fit right in with the Duck Dynasty crew and is proud of it too! :)









No comments: