Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Camping Backyard Style!

Kent thought it would be fun to camp out in our backyard with the kids a couple Fridays ago since in was a beautiful cool night with no humidity, so they did. We were going to roast marshmallows over the fire, but I forgot we didn't have any, so we made snowcones instead! :)

The smoke kept following Harrison everywhere we sat him. He LOVES snow cones!

After putting Harrison to bed we all went in the tent and read some stories. Our favorite was a joke book we have had for a long time but never had read. The kids cracked up (so did Kent!) at the jokes. Some of them WERE pretty funny, but a lot of them I had heard before or I thought were kind of dumb. Here is a some of our favorites:

A horse talking to a pig:
What are you going to do when you get as big as your mother?
The pig: Go on a diet.

Why was Cinderella kicked off the softball team?
Because she kept running away from the ball.

What can elephants have that no other elephants can have?
Baby elephants.

Why was the baker sent to jail?
For beating the eggs and whipping the cream.

Will you remember me in a hour?
Yes.
Will you remember me in a day?
Yes.
Will you remember me in a week?
Yes.
Will you remember me in a month?
Yes.
Will you remember me in a year?
Yes.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
I thought you said you would remember me!

Kent and the kids had a ball sleeping in the tent together. I slept inside with Harrison, so I missed the party, but at least I got a nice soft bed all to myself! I didn't get a picture of this, but Rigdon, our dog, sat by the outside of the tent when the kids were playing in it right after Kent set it up just like a great guard dog. Even though I'm not too fond of him, I have to admit he is a good guard dog! In the morning the kids came inside for breakfast then Tyler said he was still tired and went back outside in the tent, but it didn't last very long since Morgan was inside watching Saturday morning cartoons.

I'm glad we were able to do a little something different and fun and I know the kids will remember it for a long time. They kept asking when we were going to do it again! We are planning on going camping Labor Day weekend, so we'll all be able to go this time. I've been wanting to go camping as a family for a few years now, but something has always gotten in the way, so we are finally doing it!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Hilary said...

what fun! Esp. since you got to sleep inside! ha ha! You guys always seem so happy and like you are having fun!