Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Discovering a little bit of Carmel, but no nuts or chocolate . . .

Well, actually maybe there were 4 nuts involved and some chocolate at the end! :)

So here is a recap of our fun day the kids and I had since Tyler and Morgan were off of school on Monday. Sorry about all the pictures! First, I found my way to a Sears Appliance parts store and FINALLY bought a new latch to our dryer. Now I don't have to use packing tape to keep it shut! Sometimes I wonder why in the world it takes me so long to fix something that really doesn't take much effort to fix and the outcome is SOOO much nicer! Anyway, then we went to this neat park/nature center called Cool Creek Park and Nature Center, which is only about 2 minutes from our house. The kids had an absolute ball there. Two playgrounds and a shelter with regular sized picnic tables AND small picnic tables for the little ones. Very cute. I was so impressed with all the educational trivia included on the equipment - states and capitals, info about different animals, etc. The nature center was very hands-on and had lots of fun facts and information about plants and animals. We spent 3 hours there and I had to drag the kids away when it was time to go!

His favorite place to be!






On to the nature center!



Exploring in the big tree


Tyler's wingspan is almost the size of the red-tailed hawk



Morgan's is the size of a black crow




Harrison was completely fascinated with the snake in this cage!



Taking a hiking trail - some friends along the way





There was a creek just below these stairs and a couple little girls were playing in the water when their mom said she thought she saw a snake in the water, so Tyler and Morgan got a little concerned - that's why they are looking over there!





I think this is a snowball Viburnum. So pretty!!!!




Dogwood shrub











Next we went to the Carmel Library. Harrison was so excited to be able to play some games on the computer that were just right for his age. We checked out a few books and will have to go again soon. Heather, I checked out The Penderwicks A Summer Tale . . . and The Girl Who Could Fly. I'll have to keep looking at your Book List. If you have any that you really would suggest, just let me know!

Our last stop was at this adorable little candy shop called Simply Sweet Shop. It totally reminded me of a classic candy shop with such a fun atmosphere. If I hadn't had to keep running after Harrison and making sure he wasn't eating his candy before we paid for it or adding more candy to his pail, I would have tried to take some creative shots of the candy, displays, etc. Oh well. That's what happens when you let a 2-yr-old into a candy shop!


10 cent candy! What to choose, what to choose.



Caught red-handed! :)







One of the sculptures downtown - this was in front of the candy shop:




The "this-is-a-SOUR-piece-of-candy!" look!


We were going to get ice cream (I thought maybe the Sweet Shop had ice cream, but it doesn't. Although I DID find a yummy sounding ice cream shop I want to go check out sometime.), but I decided to take a little break and get some dinner, have FHE, and then take a walk down the Monon Trail to the DQ instead. When it was time to get ice cream we decided to drive instead of walk b/c lots of dark clouds started rolling in and it got chilly and windy. Good thing we drove because we would have gotten soaked otherwise!

The kids slept wonderfully that night and it was quite the enjoyable day. I'm so excited to explore all the fun things they have to do around here this summer. Here is a list of things I found that sound so appetizing, entertaining, and relaxing: Museum of Miniature Houses, Monon Center Outdoor Waterpark, Carmel Clay Historical Museum (old railroad depot), Woody's Library Restaurant, Helio's Tea Room, Bubbs Burgers and Ice Cream, Handels Homemade Ice Cream and Yogurt (in Fishers - you might want to look at the menu beforehand b/c there are A LOT of flavors to choose from!), and just stroll through the Art and Design District of Carmel - there are some cool antique shops, sculptures, and boutiques, plus some fun sprinkler parks throughout the area. If anyone would like to go to any of these places with us, just let us know! We would love to have some visitors!

3 comments:

Jeni Allen said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I love getting out with the kids, doesn't matter how old they are it's so fun to explore!

Ashley said...

Your new area sounds so fun! That park was just wonderful! How nice to have it so close to you. It looked like such a beautiful day too!

Megan said...

Kris, we miss you already! Looks like you have lots to do to keep you busy this summer. Pick your favorite place and we'll add it to our summer playgroup schedule and come to you for a change!