The youth in our church decided to do a 40-day project called "Committed to Serve". We don't participate in Lent, but they decided to do this during the time of Lent. We decided to make it a whole congregational activity, so they made these bracelets and passed them out to everyone - including the young children - along with a calendar to fill in what we did each day. We are suppose to pray each day about how we can serve and who needs our service and then follow through. We started on Leap Day and will end on Easter. It has really helped all of us think more of others, especially in our family, than of ourselves. Even Harrison has been finding ways to think of others and put them above his wants. For example, I had to take Callie and Harrison to the Brownies meeting with Morgan and me and they had fruit snacks and pretzel sticks with cheese for a snack. Harrison didn't get any pretzels, so I asked Morgan if she would share with him and that it would be a good way to show service. She did and I was pleased. Then Harrison got a package of fruit snacks and I asked him if he needed me to open it and he told me that he was going to keep it for Tyler and Morgan. At first I was confused because Morgan already had one, but then I realized what he was doing. I asked him if he was doing that for his service and he got this shy little grin on his face and said yes. It made my heart melt! What a sweet little boy! What a blessing it is to have these opportunities to serve and to have my children learn at an early age the importance of putting others first and helping those in need.
Monday, March 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
This is such a wonderful idea! I would love to do this with our ward.
Post a Comment